Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Running and Bonding

So, as talked about in the first post, I am 22 1/2 weeks pregnant with baby number three. We got pregnant with her right in the middle of my marathon training program, so she's known nothing other than a running uterus. I've run probably about 500 miles with her, some of my hardest, most challenging runs. From my milestone of 20 miles to my first marathon at 13 weeks, and now, most recently, an amazing half marathon at 22 weeks pregnant, she's been with me all the way.

And even though she's only been in my belly this whole time, and I can't really look at her, or hold her with my arms, I have to say that running with her has been such an amazing bonding experience already. The idea of "doing it for her" is what got me though some of my toughest long runs prepping for the marathon. When I was on the Dallas Rock n' Roll Half Marathon course Saturday, and looked down at my watch to realize I could beat my first half marathon time, I decided to gun it, just for her.

I have also found myself to be in the best shape of my life. For some reason, I felt that the pregnancy actually enhanced my running. My pain tolerance has been higher and my body has operated at a more optimal level. Running while pregnant has proven to be the best move I ever made. I remember when I found out that we were pregnant. My husband asked, "um, do you think you can actually RUN a MARATHON pregnant?" My response, "of course!" I thought it would simply provide more of a challenge. But in all honesty, I think it's proven to be a benefit.

This, my third pregnancy, is my most amazing one. I wasn't a runner before. I didn't give that gift to my other two kids. This baby is getting the gift of a mom in optimal shape. Me, I'm getting the gift of better oxygen circulation and amazing warm fuzzies.

Running while pregnant.....an amazing experience.





2 comments:

  1. Hello there mommy jogger. I am stopping by from SITS, I like your blog. I will follow you, because I want to know more about healthy life during pregnancy (I am not preggo yet, but I am planning and in the process I want to be fit).

    I hope you will follow me too! xxxMsBabyPlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran a marathon two weeks before I conceived my third, and due to some completely BOGUS information that has become gospel to my OB and my personal trainer, I stopped running in my first trimester because I was told not to get my heart rate above a certain number - a number I'd jump over in a slow jog. SO regret it. I was in amazing shape and am just now, as my baby just turned one, able to start running again.

    So I say good for you! Are you going to have a natural childbirth (if you don't mind my asking)?

    ReplyDelete