Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hello Hydration! Mom Running Dallas Plano Texas

Whew, it sure is HOT here in North Texas. More than just hot, it's extremely humid. Baby Isla and I went out for our morning jog today. In that 2.6 miles, I sweat much more than I did all week thanks to this humidity. This sort of weather makes fluid consumption a critical topic for all runners, but especially nursing mommy runners.

As a nursing mom, I'm facing new and different hydration challenges. Even when I'm not running, I find I need more water these days. That means, when I'm running and sweating, I need even more water. There just isn't a ton of information available on the topic of "nursing" and "running", so it's an area that I am experiencing myself and I'll share with you.

Why is this important, Mommy Joggers? In consulting with lactation consultants at the hospital, they reminded me that if I was to run in this heat, I must must must replace fluids and electrolytes, or my supply would diminish.

How do I stay hydrated for my runs?
Before my jog, as I'm getting my big kids dressed for school, I have about 16-20 ounces of water (the average bottle size). The key is not to drink it too fast. I also bring along another 16-22 ounces with us. In this weather, I love to freeze my water bottle 1/2 full, then top it off with cool water right before we leave. This makes my water the perfect temperature!

Because we sweat more during this humidity, replacing electrolytes is crucial. After my post-run recovery shake (more on that later) I down a small bottle of Gatorade. This is based on the advice of the lactation consultant at the hospital. She said replacing the electrolytes is exceptionally important for nursing running moms. If you're really concerned about your electrolytes, have Pedialyte instead of Gatorade. That is more concentrated.

Now, I probably consumed 32 ounces of fluid since I took off on my run. The sad thing is, I still don't feel as if I have to pee. And I'm still thirsty. What this means is that thorough the day I must pay close attention to my fluid consumption. When the baby is nursing, I should be drinking water. I also need to pay very close attention to my body's needs:

My lips feel dry. Probably haven't drank enough.

I'm thirsty. I definitely didn't drink enough yet today. Did you know...if you FEEL THIRSTY you're already dehydrated?

So Mommy Joggers, whether your nursing or not, but especially if you are nursing, please make sure you pay CLOSE attention to your fluids. When you're running in the heat and humidity, you're going to lose more fluids. Replace them with plenty of water and don't forget the electrolytes. Failure to do this can result in diminishing milk supply and quality. It can also take a toll on your muscles. Your muscles can't recover from their workout without proper hydration. Take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment